From the 17th Century, it was the Church’s duty to educate children in every parish, teaching reading writing and religious instruction. Kippen School began in the Church building, then moved to a house on the site of the Cross Keys Hotel. There was also a privately run school at Oxhill, Fore Road, as well as a “female school” which also taught needlework – possibly at Thimble Row cottage, Fore Road.
Today’s Primary School building at Castlehill was built by the Free Church in the 1800’s, followed by the Church of Scotland opening the Public School on the front site of the present Village Hall, Fore Road.
Following the 1872 Education (Scotland) Act, a national unified secular education system was established. Compulsory attendance was introduced for all children between 5 and 13 years and in 1889, schooling became free. In 1895, the extended Castlehill school became the only Kippen Primary School. This is the School we have today.