Back to Top

Kippen - a village in Central Scotland

Welcome to Kippen Heritage

Main Street Kippen
Main Street Kippen

The village of Kippen (it is thought that the name derives from a Gaelic word for a promontory) is situated above the upper valley of the river Forth in Stirlingshire, in the Central Belt of Scotland, some 10 miles west of the city of Stirling. It is likely that there have been settlements in Kippen parish since Pre Roman times and the village still retains buildings and a Kirkyard dating from the 18th century. In the old Kirkyard links to the Covenanters and Rob Roy can be found. In the 2011 census the population of Kippen numbered 1030 and in 2019 the village has a thriving primary school (ages 5 to 11), Post Office and General Store, hairdresser, butcher, two inns and two cafÄ—s. There is a Village Hall (which started life as the Village School) and Reading Rooms both of which regularly host Community and private functions.

Fore Road Kippen
Fore Road Kippen

The present parish church (Church of Scotland) was built in 1825 but there may have been a church in Kippen as early as the fifth century.

Our group’s aim is to use this platform to publish images of Kippen old and new. Over the coming weeks we will be adding galleries and would welcome feedback or information about the images. Please use our contact form.

Main Street 1950